Like us on Facebook!

Thursday, January 09, 2014

Up, up and Away! (Blogpost and video)

Hi Beautiful Creators!



My first blogpost of 2014! :-) And off course a little video of my Art Journal page! (for the video just scrol down)
Here's the how and why of this page and some info on the materials I used. Enjoy!




I stumbled upon a post on face book last week titled, Journal52. It is a free art journal workshop with, as you probably already guessed, a prompt for a journal page once a week.
As I have no classes planned to take just yet I joined their face book group and happily made my first journal page with their prompt of this week. I had so much fun! :-D

The prompt was called;” Up, up and away”, and the idea was to make a journal page with flying as a theme. As I was pondering this idea I could feel myself breaking free and flying towards the sun. In my mind I was dancing with the clouds and having a blast playing with the wind and soaring through the sky!

I decided to express all that I was feeling so I started creating a sort of fence-like background from which I could literately break free on the paper. I used a homemade stencil and gesso to keep it a bit transparent.
I then went back to that free feeling of flying and playing in the sky and went completely wild with acrylic paints and stencils. Gosh, how I love making a happy mess! Lol

After a couple of layers of color-fun I drew the birds. I used acrylic white paint with some pouring medium an a little bit of water to get it to flow from my bottle. I used a bottle instead of a pen to stay away from to much control, I just wanted to stay with that delicious feeling of freedom.
That is also the reason why I wanted to finger-paint the next layer, not to much control just play with the colors like playing with the wind.

To outline the birds I diluted some black acrylic paint with water and used a dropper to draw around them. Then I added a few details with a black pen and wrote my text with a thick black marker. The outlines of the lettering were done with a white gel-pen. Et Voilà, the first prompt from Journal52 is done!

I'd like to thank Chelle Stein for creating this free workshop! I'm sure I will go back often to be inspired, get ideas and prompts I would never come up with myself. A beautiful opportunity to expand my creativity, share it with like minded people in a face-book group where we can learn from each other inspire and be inspired!

Happy Creating!
~Monique

12 comments:

  1. Ziet er prachtig uit Monique

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your layer techniques! When I first saw a link to this post I thought the birds where cut-outs from a map haha. But seriously I love this! (hope you don't mind but I'm gonna use it as inspiration to get a kick-start back into my own sketchbook)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your layering techniques! I must admit when I first saw a link to this post I thought the birds where cut-outs from a map haha. But seriously, I hope you don't mind but I wanna use this as inspiration for some pages in my own sketchbook (which I've been neglecting)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you emma! Feel free to be inspired and get those sketches flowing again! :-)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for commenting Emma and please be my guest! I'm always very exited when somebody is inpsired by my work. Maybe you'd like to share what you do with this idea! Would love to see it! Happy Creating. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It´s the first time I look on your blog and I´m fascinated! Wow, I like your post sooo much! Great JournalPage! Now I will have a look on the older pages and maybe I try a little of your doings in my own Journals... Thanks a lot for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Brida! I am glad you feel inspired, have fun! Have you seen my facebookpage, there's more mixed media and artjournaling to find there. Www.facebook.com/lifestruecolours

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing your process for this journal page and also your BOPA paper bag journal! I love them all. I can see how the layers you took the time to put down gave your final page such depth and dimension on your "Up, Up & Away" page. Love it. I am wondering what type of white paint you were using to draw your birds. I loved that technique but don't think I've ever seen that before. Thank you ~ Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anonymous! The white paint was a combination of acrylic white paint with a little pouring medium and water to get it to flow out of the bottle easier. You could also use white acrylic paint and a little fluid medium. Happy Creating!
      ~Monique

      Delete
  7. Just discovered you. Hope to visit frequently. And, so loved the above video. Am just about to begin my adventure - wish me luck. Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Carol and welcome!
      I wish you many happy creative moments! :-)
      Monique

      Delete